Overcoming OCD
Information for College Students

Should I Change Schools to Get Treatment for OCD?

Transferring to a different college or university is a major decision.  If your OCD is severe, you may want to consider looking for a different school where treatment for OCD is available.

Here are some things to think about when considering a different school:

  • Is the school a good fit for you—academically and socially?  Does it offer a degree in the field you want to major in?  Is it larger or smaller than the school you attend now? 
  • Are the mental health services you need on campus or in the local community?
  • Does it offer you the disability support you may need while you learn to manage the disorder?
  • Are tuition, fees and housing more expensive than your current school?  If you are on scholarship, is it transferable?  What kind of financial aid is available if you need it?
  • Is it closer or farther away from home?

Some schools may offer on-campus treatment, accommodation and support groups for OCD and other disorders.  Other schools offer flexible, nontraditional programs with online learning options.

Finding a good fit requires a lot of careful research.  Ask a trusted family member or friend to help you in your search.  Gather information by looking at web sites, calling school admissions offices and visiting campuses (if travel is possible).  Be sure to ask lots of questions at the counseling center, student health center and disabilities office.

Students who require extra support in academics, independent living skills and social skills due to a disorder or learning disability can get information at:

  • The College Living Experience web site: www.cleinc.net
  • Books such as:
    • K & W Guide to Colleges for Students with Learning Disabilities (by Princeton Review)
    • Colleges for Students with Learning Disabilities and ADD (by Peterson’s)

Back to Overcoming OCD